Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Backyard Burn Series Race #1 Race Report

EX2 Adventures Backyard Burn Series Race #1
October 19, 2008
Wakefield Park
Annadale, VA

Previous Best: N/A
Goal: With the series consisting of points given over the course of 4 races, I'd like to be top 3, but with missing Race #2 for the NY Marathon it might be difficult. Specifically, top 3 in this race.

Last year when Kirsten could nothing but talk about the Backyard Burn Series after every race and during every run on Sunday in Rock Creek Parkway, I paid attention to the next series of races and made sure I was competing. So did several others from the club. Specifically Travis and Phil - age group brethren.

With IMWI behind us I was having trouble getting myself off my ass to run any distance let alone some trails, but photographing Climate Ride inspired me once more to trudge on and so I did. A couple of hill workouts later with Phil and Hilary I was ready to tackle my first Trail Race ever. A few weeks earlier Phil and I had a great run in Rock Creek Parkway in order to tune up for this race, but with my latest run on The Mall leaving me lathargic and empty, I was worried I didn't have it in me to compete. Maybe I didn't take enough time off after IMWI...maybe too much. It's these very mind games that make competing in sports so attractive - because you don't just win on sheer talent, there's heart and determination figured into every win. Today's race would certainly have to possess a lot of the latter if I was going to reach my goal.

PRE-RACE/WARM-UP
The night before's antics at the Annual Pig Roast (a.k.a. another good reason to head to Eric's to eat and drink) provided a little more of an obstacle the next morning than anticipated (read: bathroom issues) and the previous day's tour at Ford's Theatre also left my legs wrecked. But, spirits were high as Travis, Phil and I all piled into my car and headed out for our very first Trail Race. It's always interesting to see other people's workout methods: how they warm-up, what clothes they choose to wear, what shoes, etc. For me, I knew I needed to do a few miles beforehand if I was to have any chance of competing, so I headed out on the course testing my footing with the Newtons and my choice of clothes. As I ran into Phil he warned me of the mainly single track course we were to take - if we wanted to make a move we would like have to make a bold choice or do it in the open field. Either way it was cold and since it's the first cold day to run in, I hadn't the slightest idea what to wear. Every year this happens: I put on too many clothes because I never remember what is appropriate for the given temperature. Longsleeves and hat? Longsleeves, gloves and hat? Maybe the pullover hat? What about tights? And on, and on, and on. Annoying! You'd think that someone who comes from a running background would know such things by now, but...nope - never remember. I should probably make a chart or something. Point being, I got back to the car with about about 3 minutes to the start and made a last second decision to change shirts, which also meant repinning the bib number since I forgot my bib number belt. CRAP! Hurry up! I run to the start and am as ready as I'll ever be...I think.

RACE
The beginning was just what I expected: a fast start to an already difficult race. I tried to hang with the main pack, but either I wasn't warmed up enough or we were going at a pretty good clip and just didn't have it in me (sidenote: it's difficult to gauge how fast you're going since you're on trails that don't have mile markers like a normal road race). In any case, I had Phil and the rest of them within sight while still having Sean Ward with me to keep the pressure on. Quick feet is the name of the game when running on trails and I learn that the hard way. Mile 1 - good, mile 2 - good, mile...and down goes Kip. Yep, completely tripped on a root, tumbled, did a shoulder role, popped back up and continued on. Sean would later say, "One minute I say you and the next, you were gone. Popped up and kept going." Yep, pretty much. With a group of about 8 runners ahead of our 3 person pack, I needed to be quick and gracefully, not slow and mediocre. We made it into the first clearing and I hadn't seen the 1st group in awhile - I figured they must be hauling ass, but by the time we made the straightaway for the next loop I caught a glimpse of the leaders. There were only 4 remaining ahead of me, but they had a pretty substantial lead on me, 4th place was nearly 90 seconds ahead and with the difficulty of the terrain, I was either going to win or lose the race based on my level of risk in the next loop.

Corners were cut sharp, logs were jump and rocks of any size didn't stand a chance of slowing me down---and yet, I couldn't see anyone ahead of me. The beauty, as I found out in my first Trail Race, about racing in the woods is that you're never really thinking about the distance. Your main objective? Don't fall...oops! too late for that, and catch the person in front of you. Racing is as much about strategy and footing as it is talent in these events. My only hope was to turn it on now and pray for the best. At several points during the 2nd loop I thought I had made a wrong turn--when you're all alone, you realize you never spent a single second looking up from the heels of the person in front of you. You don't know the course and once you've trailed off enough and have no in sight to chase, you're not just a runner, but a navigator as well. Needless to say...difficult, very difficult. I pass a water station with about 2 miles to go and yell at the volunteer, "How far back am I?" The answer: about 1 minute from 4th and 3 minutes behind 1st. CRAP! It was do or die time, and with a swig of water I took off hoping for second wind. As most of you know, my style of running is coming from behind in a race. If ever I was suited to kick ass, it would be at the end passing everyone with a late kick. 4th place was in sight and after some maneuvering and light stepping, I passed him while still in the woods. Next up, Phil and another guy in 2nd and 3rd. I see them ahead coming out of the woods headed for the finish and they're neck and neck. I head back into the woods for one last bit of heavy duty trail running lengthening my stride. The only way to catch them now is to make a move right here. And so I did. I emerged from the woods trailing about 100-150 yards behind Phil and noticed the other guy has taken off. No chance of catching him, but Phil...possibly. Inch by inch I close the gap expending a tremendous amount of energy and for once I think to myself, I my not have my kick this time--too much energy wasted catching up. Ergo, I sit on Phil's heel without his knowing and once we make the turn for the finishing chute I make my move. Is it enough? I'm not sure, but I don't look back. In the end, it was. 3rd Place overall and 2nd in the Age Group with Phil coming in a few seconds behind me. Later I would find out 1st place was 80 seconds ahead of me. Fast, but not impossible. I'm pissed and hungry for the next race, but happy and elated at the results. All in all a great start to this series. Unfortunately, I have to miss the 2nd race because I'll be up in Manhattan doing the NY Marathon this year again. So if I have any chance of placing in the top 3 overall for the series, I better finish no lower than 2nd in the final two races.

AWARDS
I don't often get to write this section, but today is different. And for all our talk about what an award should be, it should not be a trophy, a medal, a plaque. These things have no real use in this world other than collecting dust. But EX2 Adventures BYB Series thought about this and let's just say I could always use a nice pint glass. Yep, each of the top 5 athletes in each Age Group received a pint glass with the EX2 logo printed on it along with their respective place in the race. Awesome! How sweet is that? Finally, something I can use and be proud of when using it. Don't give T-shirts out as a free gift, give socks. Or a hat, or a pair of gloves. Something that people don't already have hundreds of. Luckily, EX2 Adventures are on the same page.


Phil Schmidt, Sean Ward and myself on the Podium!

And a special shout should go out to the DC Tri Club's little contingency of runners that showed up today. From what I counted, we had 9 or 10 runners there and 6 of us placed, with Phil Sean and myself taking 3 of the top 5 in the M30-39 AG. Unbelievable! Congrats to Julie Kennedy and AJ Morrison as well.

Now time to rest up for Marine Corps Marathon next week followed by NY Marathon the next. Yikes!

Kip Pierson
1:03:27
6:20 min/mile pace
3rd Overall
2nd in AG, M30-39

No comments: